Friday, March 25, 2016

Shamrock 2016

This year, I signed up to run the Shamrock Half Marathon in downtown Portland.  This was my 4th year running in this race and my 2nd time running the Half Marathon which they just started last year.    It's a challenging run with a few hills that really push my limits of running.

The morning started out cool and drizzly.  I knew it was going to rain, I just didn't know how much it would rain.  I took MAX down to the start line.  I got there about an hour early.  There was really no place to stay dry, so as the rain continued to fall lightly, I got a little damp just waiting for the race to start.

The race started, and the rain kept falling.  I was hoping that it would let up, but it never got any lighter.  In fact, by around the second half of the race, it started raining harder.  By this point I was completely soaked.  It wasn't so bad running in the rain.  I stayed warm by the running.  But as soon as I stopped, I was cold and of course very wet.  The temperatures were in the 40's, so it was very cold outside.  My hands were numb and I could hardly move my arms.  I had to walk a ways to pick up my coat from the coat check tent.  Then I had to get on MAX and head home.  The entire time I was so cold, I started to shake a little.  Then I got in the car (which was also cold) and drove home.  The minute I got in the house, I took a long hot shower and started to unthaw.

Sometimes I wonder why I still do this race every year.  It almost always rains.  I think I like the challenge of this run.  And it comes at a good time of year in the spring when I am training for the Hippie Chick race in May.  And overall, although the weather conditions were not pleasant, I am proud to say I had a personal best for this run.  I ran 1 minute faster than I did a year ago doing the same run.

I don't have any pictures of this race.  I was even too cold to take a selfie.

No comments:

Post a Comment