Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Series of Unfortunate Events Followed by One Fortunate Event

For the past several weeks, I've noticed an odd smell coming from our Honda Pilot.  I thought it was related to some foul smelling windshield washer fluid.  There was this one time when "they" topped it off when changing the oil, and it smelled so bad, we never had them top if off again.  So I was just assuming it was the bad smelling fluid again.  But then last Wednesday when I drove home after taking Daniel to school, I turned the car off but noticed the fan was still blowing, as if the car was trying to cool off.  I thought this was strange.  I waited a few minutes to see if it would shut off.  It didn't, so then I went out to check the antifreeze and see if it was low.  When I screwed off the lid, the fan stopped blowing, which again I thought was odd, and quickly figured those two things must be related.  I filled it up with water and it took close to 2 quarts of water.  Again, my radar went off that something wasn't right.  Later that morning, I took the two younger boys to the library.  I watched the heat on the car, but it didn't seem to be abnormal.  The smell was getting stronger though, so I was worried.  And when I got home, I noticed a substantial leak under the car.  I called the mechanic and they said to bring it in right away.  We took the car in on Thursday, hoping that it was fixable and wouldn't cost a lot of money.  This car is old, has quite a few miles, but we were hoping it could last a couple more years.  Then, when we heard how much it was going to cost to fix it, we knew it was time to say good-bye to our car and search for another.  To make a long story short, we ended up buying a new Honda Pilot last weekend.  Things worked out pretty well for us.  I'm happy to have a car that runs again and hopefully won't require any work for a very long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment