Monday, April 30, 2012

Broken

Two Saturdays ago, the weather was warm and beautiful.  It was the nicest weather we'd had all year.  We decided to go to the park and have a picnic, maybe even do a short hike.  It was just a great day to be outside.  So after church, we headed to Washington Park to enjoy the great outdoors.  The lunch was yummy, and the boys had so much fun playing.  Daniel even made friends with a little girl.  He invited her over to our table for brownies.  She seemed to like that.  After a couple of hours, we packed up our things.  I was waiting at the picnic table while Jeff took stuff to the car.  I knew there was some kind of problem when he came back without the backpack for Simon.  He walked over and said our window was broken, smashed is more accurate.  He asked me if anything valuable was in there.  I said my purse.  He said, oh yeah, that's gone.  We immediately went into crisis mode, calling our bank and credit card company.  As the realization of what had happened on that beautiful day started to sink in, I felt nauseous.  I quickly remembered what was in there.  Not just my wallet, but our camera.  I hadn't downloaded pics for about a month, so we lost all of our Easter pic, our pics from Daniel's first race, and some other misc. pics.  Other small items were lost too: gift cards, the boys' immunization records, lipsticks, chapstick, tissue, a diaper along with some wipes.  Of course a lot of that stuff is replaceable, but still, I felt broken inside at the thought of what some random person did to our car along with taking my personal belongings.  We walked along the sidewalk, hoping that the person would have grabbed the cash (which was only a few dollars anyway, not enough to make it worth stealing my purse and damaging our car!) and tossed the purse.  But we never found anything.  On Monday, we got the window fixed, and I began the long process of replacing the items that were lost.  I'd like to say that now everything is fine and all is well with the world again.  But honestly, I'm still angry and feel very violated.  It also makes me have less trust in humanity in general.  Some things are just wrong, and breaking into our car and taking something that didn't belong to you...well, it's just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment