Sunday, August 7, 2011

Married With Kids

When I was in my late teens, early 20's I used to hear the phrase, " I hope to be married with kids someday."  And I'm sure I said that phrase many times too.  But back then, did I, or any of us, really know what it meant?  I look at my life and think, yes, now I am married with kids.  But I didn't know that I would be married to a man that would go through a career change in his 30's and that I would be doing a lot of parenting on my own.  I didn't know that I would have a child who can yell at the top of his lungs when he's mad and throw a huge temper tantrum.  I didn't know that I would be exhausted after a long day and not be able to go to sleep till all of my children were bathed, put PJ's on, brushed teeth, read stories too, etc.  I didn't know that I would never sleep in again and sometimes have to wake at 5:30 because one of my children would be ready to get up.  I also didn't know that I would be married to someone who after a long day/night of work comes home and his face lights up when he sees his kids.  I didn't know that I would be married to a man who could see I was tired and tell me he was going to make us dinner.  I didn't know that I would have a child who would say, "Can I share with him because there are no more left and he probably wants one?"  I didn't know that my baby's face would break out in a huge grin when I would pick him up in the morning, even if that morning time is 5:30.  I didn't know that I would have a child crawl into bed with me early in the morning, only to fall back asleep with me.  Nobody tells us about the day to day details of being married with kids.  But each day I am figuring out what that means. 
In the Hospital with Simon & Family

Simon, Sam & Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment