Sunday, February 2, 2014

What Not To Say

I was in Nordstrom last week, browsing.  I typically like this store which has many great qualities that I appreciate like nice customer service, great return policy, free alterations for items purchased from the store, things like that.  But as I was looking at some jewelry last week, looking for a possible birthday present for someone, I was surprised at how things turned out when a sales woman came up to me and asked if she could help.  What surprised me was that she stood about 2 inches away from me, like she was blocking me from something.  I thought this was odd.  I had Simon with me, so I was also trying to keep an eye on him as he was walking around, and I had to look around her to watch him.  I was pushing my stroller.  She looked in it and almost seemed shocked to see nothing in it.  "Where is your baby?" she asked, as if I had left it somewhere.  I said, "He's right there" and pointed to him.  "Oh, he's not a baby."  She continued.  I wasn't sure if she was trying to be friendly or was trying to get me to leave because then she said, "Shopping with a boy is so hard."  I didn't even respond.  I just turned around, took Simon by the hand, and led us out of that department.  How does she know whether or not shopping with Simon is hard?  I didn't like that she jumped to some hasty conclusion about him.  Simon is great!  I love shopping with him.  I don't mind that he likes to look at things in a store.  Looking back, I wish I could have said to her face that it wasn't appropriate to say and certainly not a way to win over customers.  Oh well, I'll try to not let it taint my like for Nordstrom.

Simon, feeling rather comfortable with one of the displays at Nordstrom

On another note...I wanted to announce that I have signed up to run the Portland Marathon.  I'm so nervous about this...nervous and excited.  I'm dreading the long runs of training, but I know when I cross the finish line, it will all be worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment