Tuesday, March 6, 2012

"You've Got Mail!"

When you hear the phrase, "You've Got Mail!", your mind is possibly jolted to thoughts of the movie in which this is the title.  Or at the very least, you think of someone getting an email*.  Probably the last thing you'll think about is the mail you'll be receiving from the postal service today.  We are living in such a technological age, that we forget what it's like to get mail other than bills, junk-mail, or the occasional magazine we've subscribed to. 

But that's where my thoughts take me today.  Do you remember having a pen-pal you may have written to when you were younger?  Or maybe a friend from camp that you wrote to?  Possibly you had your first boyfriend/girlfriend that you wrote and sent a few letters back and forth before "breaking up".  It's so rare today to receive a hand-written letter in the mail from a friend.  But yesterday when I got a letter in the mail that wasn't a bill, junk-mail or a magazine, I smiled, sat down and enjoyed reading it. 

I feel it's a lost art, the art of writing and sending a hand-written letter through today's mail system. I know what you're thinking.  You type faster than you write, so it's quicker to send an email.  Or postage is getting so expensive.  Even if you bought a life-time supply of the Forever Stamp, still email is basically free.  And I have to admit, I love getting emails from my friends too, don't misunderstand what I'm saying.  I just want to remind you about the days before email and possibly challenge you to sit down and write a letter.

*By email I'm referring to any messaging device using today's technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment