Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Peach Season

We are in full peach season here at our house.  I love peaches!  And I am especially loving them right now as we've been to a local farm (Jossy Farms in Hillsboro) twice in the last couple of weeks.  The first week we picked 48 pounds of peaches.  Jeff thought we were a bit crazy and was sure we would throw about half of them out because they'd go bad, but I assured him we'd go through them.  So we had a peach pie, peach shortcake, peaches for breakfast, lunch and dinner!  Then I took them out to Camp Meeting and we ate lots out there too.  I also figured out that I could dry peaches with a fruit dryer that Jeff's mom gave to us a few years ago.  My first rounds were a bit funny, but now I have the hang of it.  The second week we picked peaches, we picked 52 pounds.  Again, I think Jeff is wondering if I'm crazy.  But this time I am also freezing peaches as well as drying them.  I have about 4 quart size bags frozen so far, and I plan on continuing to freeze till they are all used up!  We are about half way through the second batch.  Again, we are also eating a lot of peaches, and I think another peach pie may be in our future!  Yum!

Picking the First Time

Our "loot" the Second Week

Step 1:  Peaches

Step 2: Cut
Step 3:  Place in Dryer
Step 4: Several Hours in the Dryer

Step 5: Dried Peaches



No comments:

Post a Comment