Monday, January 6, 2014

Jingle Bell Run 2013

One of my resolutions for 2013 was to run in at least 6 races.  I had one more to do as the year came to a close, and while I looked all over for something to do, I couldn't find anything that appealed to me, so I decided on the Jingle Bell 5K Run again.  I ran it in 2012, so I knew what to expect.  Although I know it gets cold and wet this time of year in Portland, I felt like I could do anything for a short amount of time.  Just get in there, run it fast and get it over with.  What came as an added surprise was that it was the coldest weekend, or even day, on record.  Once again, I thought, this is mental, I can dress warmly.  I got this.  However, it was still so cold.  I tried to plan it so that I could hop on MAX in time to ride down there, get off, check my coat, go to the bathroom, and basically start the race.  But the problem was that the MAX was late, so that plan didn't go as scheduled.  And I ended up sitting outside for an extra 30 minutes or so, with the feeling slowly seeping out of me feet and hands, as I waited for the next available train.  Fortunately I made it down there before the race started.  And I wasn't too worried if I started late because I had a chip, so I felt like I could rely on the chip to record my time.  I walked straight off the train, passed the honey hut, took no time to look for the coat check, and walked to the start line.  I wasn't sure about this, but it was too late to turn back.  I was at the back of the pack, but again, I thought that was okay since I had the chip.  It took me 3 minutes to cross the start line.  And then as I soon as I could I started running as fast as I could.  I had no feeling in my toes the entire time.  And I ran with my heavy ski coat, hat and ski mask.  I'm sure I looked like a mad lunatic.  But with the MAX running late, I just had to go for it.  And my time was good.  I think I ran it in about 25 minutes, which I was proud of.  Only my official time was not my chip time, so that made me a little irritated.  If it had been, I would have placed 3rd in my age division.  Oh well, I managed to do it, and I survived the cold.  I went straight home and took a long, hot shower.

after

Voo-Doo Donuts were waiting for us at the end...I took the chocolate bar front and center!

No comments:

Post a Comment